I had mentioned that I had been very busy over the Holidays, and now I will show you why.
For friends and family I made a hat, fingerless gloves, and scarves. I won’t get into how I made the hat, as that was my last post, but I will talk about the gloves this time. I hadn’t made gloves like these in a while, so it was a little tricky, but I found a great pattern through Pinterest and followed that.
First, I cast on 35 stitches and rib stitched until the piece measured about 2 cm. The next row had a bit of shaping to it, in which I decreased a few stitches. Then I knitted using the stockinette stitch until the piece measured about 5.5 cm.
Once I knitted to 5.5cm I increased one stitch at the beginning and end of the next 2 rows and then I continued to knit until the piece measured 10 cm. I then placed a marker to start shaping the thumb. This was probably the strangest part, as I had never done an increase in the middle of a piece before, but once I had gotten into the rhythm of it, it wasn’t so hard.
I increased after the first marker and before the last marker until I had 13 stitches between the two markers. Then I placed a stitch holder and continued to knit the rest of the glove.
This image is actually of the wrong side, or rather the inside, of the glove. I then knitted to another 4 cm from the top of the thumb, did 3 rows of rib stitch (even though the pattern said to do only 2), and then I cast off.
Next, I went back in and reattached the yarn to the thumb and knitted three more rows and then finished with two rows of rib stitch then cast off. I then folded the whole piece with the right sides together and sewed up the seam and did the same with the thumb.
Then came the cuff. The pattern I was working from had a very nice cuff, but I wanted to incorporate some cables. So I started by casting on 14 stitches.
I rib stitched only four stitches on each side, so knit, purl, knit, purl and made sure the stitches matched in the back to create a rib effect. Then I knitted a stockinette stitch in the middle six stitches for three rows. I used a cable needle to knit the cables on the right side of the piece.
I transferred three stitches to the cable needle to hold these stitches in place. Then I knitted the next three stitches behind those three.
And then knit the stitches on the cable needle back onto the regular straight needle.
I finished the row with the rib stitching and continued with the stockinette stitch in the middle. I continued in this way, cable knitting every third row to get a nice neat cable design.
I knitted this until it measured about 6 inches. I then added a buttonhole in the cuff using a great tutorial I found here. Then I cast off not in a cable. The whole cuff measured about 6.5 inches. I then added a gold button, because the gold looks so good with this green, and slipped them onto the gloves. The original pattern has the cuffs being secured to the gloves, but I like the option of being able to take them on and off at your discretion.
Here are the completed gloves! I am so proud of them and all the ones that I made and I was so happy to present them to my friends and family for the holidays. They came as no surprise though. At first I had tried to be subtle about them and asking about peoples favorite colors, but in the end I was measuring people’s hands and making sure that they liked the colors I had chosen.
Next time, I will get into a new technique for me, color blocking!
Until next time!